1. Plug in your iPad to your MacBook and wait for iTunes to launch. A message should appear saying that new software is available. Click "update" to proceed.
2. A new message will appear telling you that updating will backup and restore your apps, media, contacts, etc. Again, click "update". The first time you download the OS it will take over an hour. After the initial download it should be (somewhat) quicker. As this is taking place you'll see messages along the top saying the iPad is being prepared for restore. Don't do anything else at this time.
3. Next you will be asked to enter a password to unlock your iPad backup file. This is a password that you would have set up previously. It is not necessarily the password to your iTunes account. Select ok after entering the password and the iPad restore will begin.
4. After the restore is complete iTunes will sync the iPad. At this point I usually take a minute to make sure the amount of apps is correct and all of our iTunes U programs are up to date.
5. At this point, eject the iPad from iTunes.
6. When you open the iPad you'll see a grey screen that says "restore completed". Press Continue.
7. You'll see the prompt for "Location Services". I chose to enable the location services. Click next.
8. You'll see on the next screen a prompt for the Wi-Fi Networks. The CPS network should be selected. Press next.
9. The next screen is for the Apple ID. Select "sign in with an Apple ID". When you select this you'll be prompted to put in your Apple ID.
10. Agree to Apple's terms and conditions next.
11. Next its time to set up iCloud. I chose to "use iCloud". Select next. You'll be prompted to merge your bookmarks from the iPad with iCloud. I chose not to merge since there are 95 iPads on the same account.
12. You'll be asked if you want to back up to iCloud or Back up to your computer. I chose to back up to the computer. Select next.
13. At this point it's time to set up the "Find my iPad" feature. Select next.
14. The next screen will ask if you would like to send diagnostic information automatically to Apple. You can choose to automatically send or not to send. Select next.
15. Finally!! The iPad is ready to use! Click "Start Using iPad".
If you are part of CPS the fun isn't over. Although all of my iPads are named, CPS has a naming convention that they want utilized. The first letter is either I (for Instr) or A (for Admin). Next place the Oracle number of your school. Place a T (for tablet). After that the Asset Tag number. Finally, if you would like to put something personal to your school in it goes at the end. I have the cart number and iPad number on mine. An example may look like this: A12510T51542522_Cart01#2
When this step is complete you are done!! Now in my case....94 iPads to go.....